Squash Gold-Medalist From UP Puts Kidney Up For Sale To Fund Tournament





Ravi Dixit, a 23-year-old squash champion, won the gold medal for India in the 2010 Asian junior championships. In the last 10 years since he started playing this sport, he has won various other medals, making our country proud.



The 23-year-old player from Dhampur in Uttar Pradesh took the drastic step after he was unable to find a sponsor. He has offered one of his kidneys for sale on social media for Rs 8 lakh to fund his participation in next month’s South Asian Games and subsequent tournaments.
This is what he wrote in his Facebook post: 
"I have been playing squash for the last 10 years. Even after winning so many medals and representing India so many times, I do not get any support to take my squash to the national and international levels," Dixit said. "Dhampur Sugar Mill has supported me but how long will they continue to support me? Next month, the games are starting in Guwahati and I am representing India. To prepare for the tournament, I am training in Chennai but I have not been able to arrange enough money to fund my campaign for the games. I have lost my determination. I am ready to sell my kidney. If anyone needs a kidney, they can contact me. The price of my kidney is Rs 8 lakh."


The post is now either deleted or set to 'hidden' on his FB page.
Dixit’s father is a class-IV employee at a sugar mill and his income is barely enough to feed the family. His son’s desperate attempt at selling his kidney, which is illegal, has obviously worried him and his wife to no end. 
He said, “I have spoken to Ravi. He is in Chennai right now but I spoke to him on the phone. His mother and I are imploring him not to take the step. Together, we will figure out a way to deal with this crisis. This way, he will ruin both his life and career. I am saddened to hear that my son is taking such a drastic measure. I funded my daughter's wedding with Ravi's winnings. Since he has to support the family as well, he cannot use much of what he gets for himself."
He has been getting financial support from Dhampur Sugar Mill, where his father is a class IV employee, but it is not enough for him to support his career.
   
     “It is difficult for us to support the family solely on my husband’s income. The mill has been very generous in its support to Ravi’s career but we are too embarrassed to ask for more help,” his mother, Sarvesh, said thanking the company for its support.



After Dixit offered to sell his kidney, some politicians in UP have now come forward to help the player.Minister Moolchand Chauhan said he would talk to the family and take up the matter with chief minister Akhilesh Yadav. “I am surprised that such a talented player is auctioning his kidney. All possible help will be given to him,” he said.BJP leader and a former MLA Ashok Kumar Rana also assured the player of help.

Ravi's case is an example of the stark reality of so many bright players in our country whose careers stall even before they take off.


Comments