Photographer's Studio Burnt Down in Kerala For Asking About Islam's Purdah System On Whatsapp



In yet another act of intolerance, Rafeeque, a Photographer based in Kerala had to pay a big price for questioning certain Islamic practices.
Rafeeque’s studio was burnt down, destroying equipments, cameras and furniture reportedly worth Rs 7 lakhs. He allegedly made few comments in a Whatsapp group against Islamic practices such as the Purdah system.



Soon his post was circulated across Whatsapp and Facebook which allegedly resulted in a hate campaign against him. Eventually, his studio situated on 1st floor of a building in Taliparamba was set ablaze around 2 AM in the midnight.
Rafeeque said that after he expressed his opinion on the Whatsapp group 'What is Islam' of which his friends and acquaintances were also a part of, he was supported as well as criticised. He added derogatory messages and threats against him were circulated in the app and on Facebook. He said that there were threats which threatened that he would be ostracised for his remarks.


It was not a public forum, but a group of people who knew each other. This was my personal opinion that I shared and I have faced a lot of vitriolic attacks because of it. Now my livelihood has been affected," Rafeeque had been quoted by media as saying.
The Taliparamba police is investigating into the case and closely monitoring the members of the Whatsapp group where Rafeeque expressed his views.
Making it clear that no religion appealed to his intellect, he said, “I have not deliberately insulted any religion. I have just questioned practices that I do not agree with, and that too with the motive of learning. If it is essential for one to have religion and a god, my family is my religion and my mother is my God."
Police said that the case is under investigation and that the members of the Whasapp group are being monitored.

Comments