19-Year-Old Ajmer Girl Moves Court To Cancel Her Child Marriage!






A 19-year-old girl in Ajmer has filed a petition to declare her marriage invalid since it took place when she was two-and-a-half-years-old.
    Kavita, a resident of Ajmer, is currently pursuing a degree in engineering and was shocked when she discovered the fact that she was married a couple of years ago.
   She then decided to come out of this social evil when she came to know that her husband was not much educated. With the help of the Sarthi Trust in Jodhpur, she filed a petition in a Rajasthan family court seeking to have it annulled. 
    The girl in her petition stated that she was only two-and-a-half years old when her parents married her in Kotputli. She said, "Now I am studying in BTech in Ajmer and it's now that I've learnt of my child marriage. I also came to know that the person I was married to is not much educated." She said that she wanted to become engineer and looking for a good future.

    When the girl learnt about her marriage performed as a child, she protested but there was pressure from her family and also from the community panchayat. "I went into depression and then found out about Sarthi Trust that came forward to help me and encouraged me in my move," said the girl.

    When Kriti Bharati of Sarthi came to know about this situation, she went to the girl's in-laws and tried to counsel them. "But they did not agree to make the marriage stand null and void," said Kriti. She added that after that the petition demanding to nullify the child marriage was filed today in the family court of Ajmer.

"This will save my life after which I will have independence to live my life as per my wishes," added the girl.

Comments