Samina Baig, First Pakistani Woman To Summit Everest Encourages Women To ‘Climb Their Own Mountains’

A woman can do just about anything a man can, all she requires is ‘opportunity’, said 22-year-old Samina Baig, speaking at the jam packed Aga Khan University Hospital’s gymnasium, with her talk aptly titled ‘No Mountain Too High, Nor Too Easy’.

Baig is the first Pakistani woman and the third Pakistani after ace mountaineer Nazir Sabir and Hassan Sadpara, to hoist the green flag on the mighty Everest, the world’s tallest mountain.
“I think it’s something that can’t be explained in words,” said Samina. She had a very big challenge, representing Pakistan on 60th anniversary of the first ascent Mount Everest and a huge task to fulfil. “I along with my brother, Mirza Ali Baig, were climbing for ‘gender equality’ and this was the main concept of our expedition,” added Samina.
Samina and Baig started the journey together but he stepped back at approximately 8,600 meters almost 248 meters short of the summit, to prove women empowerment. Later her brother, Baig, 31, joined her and together they hoisted the green flag at the top of Everest.
“Lifting the flag of Pakistan on the top of Everest was matchless, unbelievable and feels unreal. I was a symbol of women’s empowerment, I had achieved gender equality, altogether I represented Pakistani women and showed their courage and strength not as an individual.”
Apart from being an Everest summiteer, Baig also has a personnel best record – she is the only Pakistani to have stepped on the highest points of all seven continents, a feat that is unlikely to be beaten anytime soon.
Baig said that her dream is to change the lives of women in her country. “On Mount Everest, I was not Samina Baig,” said the mountaineer whose home region is known for its high literacy rate, tolerance and gender equality. “I was representing Pakistani women. I was thinking that if I don’t make it, how am I going to encourage other women? I had to do it.” Baig climbed fewer than 400 women across the globe.

“I want to tell the women in Pakistan that if I am from Pakistan and I can climb mountains, they can climb their own mountains because everyone has their own mountains in their lives,” Baig said during a recent visit to California.
Samina wants her achievement to inspire the millions of woman in Pakistan to achieve their dreams: “Women are often underestimated in our society, so my achievement will send out a message to everyone – women are equally capable of achieving great things in life.”
Baig also said that she hopes the fervor will continue to spread until her message fully resonates that "you can achieve anything. Just believe in yourself and just work hard."

Comments